Monday, September 15, 2008

Two and half down, one to go!

Saturday didn't start out as a great day. A storm moved through on Friday, which may have contributed to the way I was feeling. I really needed to spend some time on the floor, though, as September is fast slipping away, and it looks like I'll be traveling for a week or so this month, further limiting my time.

Finally by about 11 a.m. on Saturday, I was able to get started on the floor in Lourdes' office. She's been patiently waiting but dropping many hints. I have really been wanting to get this done, but the hallway took longer than anticipated. Actually, I still have 2 pieces of trim to do at the top of the stairs, but I'm not sure I'm going to use the FasTrim pieces I bought. I want to think about this a little more.

I had watched a few laminate flooring installation videos on YouTube the week before, and realized that using a "pull bar" in certain places might be helpful. I had been using a crow bar and some scrap pieces, but the videos made it look so easy with the pull bar. A friend had offered to lend me his, so I took him up on the offer. I chipped the first piece I went to install around the doorway with the pull bar, though. Ah, lesson learned: Use scrap pieces on the edge (if the scrap chips, it doesn't matter).

Once I got through the doorway and into the main part of the room, it was smooth sailing. In a matter of a few hours, I was over half-way done. It was decision time. Do I forge ahead into the evening and try to finish tonight? Or, do I call it good here and finish tomorrow? I was feeling pretty good, and it was going very well, so I decided to press on!

It took just a couple of more hours to complete the room, including a brief break for some Canadian bacon, scrambled eggs and toast for dinner. I was amazed, and quite pleased actually, at how square it turned out. I try to measure and cut carefully, but it seems impossible to end a job perfectly square. Well, this one turned out as close to perfect as any for me. It's even all along the walls. I won't even have to put quarter round along the baseboard, although I probably will just to add a traditional finish.

With the master bedroom, Loudres' office and the hallway (almost) complete, that just leaves my office yet to be done. I may not get to it for a couple of weeks, but I don't want to lose all my momentum. If I don't have to travel to Asia on business next week, I may get it done this coming weekend. If not, it will have to wait until early October. I'm getting close, I can feel it!

(Check out more pictures of the progress on Flickr.)

No comments: